Feb 22, 2012

Beet Salad

I'm actually pretty new to beets and had my first experience with them at a restaurant where they served them with crispy chorizo...I liked the beets but not the chorizo. I happen to own quite a few cook books and this is the original recipe from the book 400 Three & Four Ingredient Recipes. Of course, I'll explain my own modifications for my personal taste as well as any other notes I feel I should add :)


-------------------------------------------------------------------

Ingredients


4-6 cooked beets
1-2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 bunch fresh mint, thinly shredded
2 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper to taste


Directions


1. Slice the beet or cut into even-size dice with a sharp knife.  Put the beet into a bowl and add the balsamic vinegar, olive oil and a pinch of salt and toss together to combine. 
2. Add half the thinly sliced fresh mint to the salad and toss lightly until thoroughly combined. Place the salad in the refrigerator and chill for about 1 hour. Serve garnished with the remaining thinly shredded mint leaves. 


*Mina's Suggestions/Notes*


- 4-6 beets is a LOT if you're making this for 2 people. I personally find that if you choose to make just a beet salad, no additional vegetables 3 is enough. 

- To cook the beets, wash them and leave the skin on.


 Boil them for what feels like forever. And by forever, I mean minimum 30 minutes. Similar to cooking a sweet potato.

Once you can stick a fork in them comfortably they're done. I suggest running them under cold water for a few minutes like you would a hard boiled egg to cool them down faster so they're more comfortable to handle. To remove the skin either use a paring knife or rub the skin off with a paper towel after cutting off the head of the beetroot.

(I forgot to take a photo of this step)

- I personally like to add other vegetables and such to my beets only because I feel I don't eat enough fresh vegetables or protein. This particular time making this salad I added cucumbers and tofu. But again, these aren't needed to make the salad..Other tasty vegetable additions could be shredded carrots, on a bed of boston lettuce, anything really..



- I also choose not to add the balsamic vinegar unless I'm actually craving that taste..but usually, I just dress it loads of my good olive oil. 


Happy Eating! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment