Feb 21, 2012

Braised Duck Ragu

As some of you may know, I'm a huge fan on duck! I feel like it's the forgotten foul, only thought of in french or chinese cuisine. But this wickedly awesome (and easy) recipe was found on ChubbyHubby and it's been a favorite ever since!
------------------------------------------------------------------


BRASATO D`ANATRA
Chef Roberto Galetti’s Braised Duck Sauce

500 gr celery, julienne
500gr carrots, julienne
500 gr onion, julienne
3 kg duck legs
1kg whole peeled tomatoes
1 btl red wine
500 ml vegetable stock
5 bay leaves

In a big pot, sauté the vegetables with olive oil. Meanwhile flour the duck legs and then pan-fry them until golden. Put the duck legs into the pot together with the vegetables. Then add the wine, the bay leaves, and the peeled tomato. Crush the tomatoes into the pot with your hands. Pour in the vegetable stock and bring everything to a boil. As soon as it boils, lower the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hours.
After 2 hours, separate the meat from the sauce. Remove excess fat and skin. Then debone the duck legs, mixing the meat back into the vegetables and sauce. Leave to rest.
Cook your noodles. Then reheat a portion of the sauce in a pan with butter, black pepper, and salt. Add some of the boiled/cooked noodles and toss. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese and parsley over the pasta and serve immediately.

*Mina's Suggestions/Notes*

- 500 gr = 2 cups (Although, I only use 1 cup of each vegetable)
- I also suggest finely chopping instead of julienne because I'm kind of lazy, lol
- I also found that 1 bottle of red wine is WAY too much, I personally use just less then half, and save the rest of drinking, but you should eye ball it..
- and I prefer chicken stock to vegetable stock

Happy Eating! <3

p.s.

I'll be sure to take some photos of each step and add them for you next time I make it

2 comments:

  1. I think that 500gr is more like 2 cups mina, maybe that explains why you only used half a bottle of wine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it really?? shows how much I know!!! LOL I'll be making the changes to that right about...now.

    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete